Sunday, September 8, 2013

Some say Tomato, some say Toh mah to.



I’ve been “collecting” all of the tomatoes I can so I can have a stash for canning projects for my weekend, which starts on Monday. (I work rotating shifts so my weekends rotate too).

We’ve had a lot of rain, 2-3 days of consistent thunderstorms and rain showers, which made me a bit nervous for the tomatoes, but overall they seem to be producing and ripening at a pretty steady pace.

These were picked from the plants this morning



And these are from previous picks


Some of those are also from today’s stash, but you get the idea.

And I have ones that have split too much to leave out. They are currently in that flavor graveyard known as the fridge. But since they’re going to be the first to go into my canning projects, and I’d rather halt their flavor progress than have ‘em rot and thrown away, I’ve made my peace with it.

Tomorrow, plans permitting, I’ll make a batch of lazy cherry tomato salsa (obviously with all-kinds-of-sizes tomatoes since that’s what I’ve got to work with) and maybe some more jam. We’ll see. It’s kinda pathetic how excited I am about this, but there you go. I just love the fact that all this bounty is going somewhere with a sense of long-term benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment